Weekend Recap Part 1: DC & Baltimore

This past weekend The Hubs and I spent a weekend in DC with a stopover in Baltimore.  I had a half marathon to race so we decided to drive down Saturday AM and spend the weekend, sightseeing, eating and then stop at Baltimore on the way home.  I’m going to give you the weekend recap here and the race recap tomorrow or the next since that will be a long post… so buckle up!

On Saturday Morning The Hubs and I woke up at 5 (we love this recently) showered and packed up to leave at 6.  In true form we left at 6:45 and got Dunkies. We made incredible time and got to D.C. by 10am! woo hoo.  We went straight to Arlington.  The Hubs grandfather (who is known as Poppop) was buried in Arlington, after surviving as a POW in a German Camp during WWII.  He flew a P-47 Thunderbolt and was shot down and held captive.  The stories are amazing, and I am so lucky to have been able to know him.  The Hubs was incredibly close with him so this was an important part of our visit.  While there we also wandered over to the JFK eternal flame, which I don’t ever remember seeing before as well as the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Poppop's Grave - Arlington

Poppop’s Grave – Arlington

After visiting Arlington we made our way to Georgetown to get to the Nike Women’s Expotique (YES, “Expotique”).  More on this in tomorrow post because I could go on… for.a.while.  We walked around Georgetown a bit (hubs had never been).  Then ate lunch on the water.  It was a gorgeous day and we wanted to get something light and healthy with a great view.  It was perfect.  We even got some color!! hey hey!! Red Arms Rock.

trying on hats at expotique

trying on hats at expotique

After being done in G-Town, we went back to the hotel.  Through the Nike Women’s Series we were able to get a really great price on a hotel in Foggy Bottom.  If you know the area or don’t, we basically were .5 miles from The White House and in the heart of GWU.  We stayed at the State Street Plaza Hotel.  It was a cute little place, pricey if it weren’t for the discount but the room was HUGE.  Like, the size of our last apartment huge, with a kitchen, living room, separate bedroom.  THE WORKS.  You could literally live there. Except that the only downside was that it looked like it was last updated in the 1950s. True Story, I felt like I was staying overnight at someone’s grandparent’s home.  But it was clean and the proximity to the start/finish line and the major attractions was key.  I recommend it if you do not care about the furnishings!

cute little georgetown canal

cute little georgetown canal

Since we had a busy morning we decided to continue on and walk around The Mall, see the White House “Where’s the POTUS” was my favorite quote of the weekend.   And then head to a restaurant that has gotten RAVE reviews but you have to stand in line to get into.  The Hubs and I are obsessed with Thai Food as of late and decided on “Little Serow.” It was a 25 minute walk from our hotel so perfect for us.  Little Serow if you have not heard about it was listed in GQ’s “The 12 Best Restaurants of 2013.” Here’s the link to the GQ Article. The restaurant is located in the basement of what looks to be a residential area.  The previous locale was home to a Dunkies! They open daily at 5:30pm, there is no phone  they do not take reservations, oh and there is no sign on the restaurant… We got to the place at 4:45.  There was already a line. We were approximately number 10 on the line.  People would come and hold spots for multiple other people so even if you thought “oh! we’re only number 10” that quickly doubled or tripled.  At 5:30 they start letting people in to sit, if you don’t get in on the first seating you give them your cell phone and they call/text you at the approx time they say and you just have to get back to the restaurant within 10 minutes.  We unfortunately did not get in right away so we put our names down, walked down the street to a bar and I watched the Hubs enjoy a cold bevvie on the hot day… I drank water. with lemon. At 7:15 we got the text letting us know our spot was ready.  I started to write more about the experience but realized it truly deserves its own post… so come back tomorrow for my review!!



After dinner we had plans to go stalk (not literally, well maybe) the White House Correspondents Dinner (uhmm hello Anderson Cooper (silver fox) was there!) and after parties, but the more we walked the more my legs started to hurt.  Not in the sore kind of way, but I actually thought that I was getting blisters on my outer thighs from my jeans.  So instead we booked it back to our hotel room and I discovered that I didn’t have blisters but I had rashes all over my legs. So that was cool.  I think it was from wearing jeans all day & walking everywhere in the heat.  But I freaked out and we went to CVS to get A&D, Aloe & moisturizer.  I tried everything even ice packs on the rash.  I was freaking out about the race, had a mini meltdown, but went to bed hopeful it would be gone in the morning.  Cliff hanger! You’ll have to read my post on the race to find out if they went away.



Sunday morning we got up nice and early (5am) to get to the starting line of the race.  After the race we cleaned ourselves up and headed to Baltimore.  Hubs and I wanted to check out the aquarium and get some crab cakes.  “Crab Cakes and Football!…”  Well the weather decided to go from nice during the race to poopy pretty quickly.  But we ate outside on the Inner Harbor anyway at McCormick & Schmicks Grille, this area was chain restaurant central and after eating at Little Serow, I’ve become a restaurant snob. So we settled on M&S Grille.  It was still good! I’m just spoiled now. haha.  Once done with lunch and after Hubs got the ketchup the waitress spilled all over him out of his pants, we made our way to the Aquarium.  I haven’t been in a long time!! So we were super excited but after walking around for a while I think we both realized (besides the fact that walking through an aquarium after a half marathon isn’t ze best idea) that we are at a weird age in our lives…  We’re a little too old to be at an aquarium, unless you have children.  Might be the first time we have ever felt that way.  But it was fun none-the-less!!  “I don’t know about you but I’m feeling 22!!” (Seriously, we’re children together).

We sat in a heck of a lot of traffic on the way home but we had a wonderful weekend together and a ton of laughs.


2 thoughts on “Weekend Recap Part 1: DC & Baltimore

  1. Little Serow is amazing!! I love that you went there. My sister and I are obsessed with it. Not only is the food amazing, but everybody that works there is so darn friendly!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s