Tonight’s Mana Monday is one of my favorite homemade meals. It’s relatively easy and for a semi-italian its fun to play with sauce and “spaghetti.”
Recently the hubs and I have decided to go back to being Gluten Free. He’s been feeling less than stellar and I’m notoriously having G.I. issues. (T to the M to the I). We tried GFree this past summer and did pretty good, but there were too many variables to know if it was really worth doing or working, although I did have less problems this summer than recently. Now that we’re on more of a regular routine/schedule we decided to try it again. Its hard, so those who are truly Celiac, I cannot even imagine!! But for those looking to reduce possible food intolerance symptoms, you at least have the options to cheat on occasion (I don’t recommend it since it apparently takes 10 days to rid yourself entirely of gluten in your system). But some days you just can’t help it… girl scout cookies saaaaayyyy whaaaat!
OK – back to the topic at hand. Spaghetti Squash. If you’ve never had it, you have to try it! Here’s the recipe and some fun iPhone pics (we really need to invest in a good camera and some photo editing software). Recommendations pahleaaaassseee.
Ingredients: (we doubled the sauce recipe because we always like to freeze the reserves for another time, so if you want to make it for 2 use half!)
1 large Spaghetti Squash or 2 small ones
Salt & Pepper
Bacon – I used 4 slices cut into 1 inch pieces
Onion – 2 small or 1 medium chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves diced
Red Pepper Flakes – 1/2 Tsp
Vodka – 1 cup of the cheap stuff
Diced Tomatoes – two 28 oz cans
Heavy Cream – 1 cup
Parmesan Cheese – grated
- I start by cutting the Squash in half… If you don’t have a sharp strong knife, you can heat this in the microwave to soften in, but usually a good Chef’s knife will do the trick. (I tend to not be able to cut evenly, if this happens just be cognizant and cook one half a little longer than the other).
- I slather the squash with olive oil on both sides, salt and pepper it, lay it face down on tin foil on a baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees until done.
I recommend doing this first so you can make the sauce while the squash cooks in the oven, it could take upwards of 45 minutes.
- Start with the Bacon in a large sauce pan or (have your italian grandparents/uncles/aunts/cousins cringe and make sauce in a Wok, like I do). If you don’t have bacon or are a vegetarian feel free to use oil or butter. Bacon adds that little bit of smokey flavor to it and of course is a nice lil snack while cooking. Cook the bacon until crunchy then remove and set aside/throw out/ or eat.
- Add the Chopped Onions into the pan and cook for a few minutes or until they are soft.
- Add the Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes for a minute or less.
- Once you’re good with that, throw in the Tomatoes and Vodka. I recommend putting the tomatoes in first, just for safety reason. If you’ve seen a pan go up in flames you could sense my concerns.
- Let this cook at a simmer for – 10 minutes or until vodka cooks down.
- Add the Cream and Parmesan Cheese and cook until thickened.
- Once the squash is done, pull it out and set it aside for a few minutes to cool a little bit before handling, then scrape out the squash either into a bowl or the sauce, if you have never done this before, its pretty easy. I think I YouTube’d it the first time.
- I add black olives, spinach and higher quality parmesan cheese to this recipe, but you can really do whatever else you’d like!
Voila! You’ve made yourself a vegetable smorgasbord.
Below is a pic of the hubs, he didn’t want olives or spinach in his… haters gonna hate.